Thursday, October 18, 2007

The JOB!

I can't say how much easier it is not having to find a job. As many of you know the BF found the job for me while I was in Toronto so there was no job hunting for me once I arrived. The week I arrived I met the mother (father was at work) and the two children; Marco who is four and Martina who is eight. . My first impression of the children was positive. They both were very polite and oh so cute with nothing but nice things to say while I was there meeting the family. My boyfriend did most of the talking while I played with the kids. We planned it that way so that the mother would see me interacting with the children. I was pleased that the children willing played with me and didn't lash on to their mother while I was there. Before I left the house both of the kids gave me a kiss, which surprised me as it was our first meeting. I decided at that time to start one week early as since it was four days into my arrival I was kinda bored at home.

Most of my time is spent with Marco teaching him English while Martina is at school. Now I am six weeks into the job and still loving it. Working with children has allowed me to find my creative side. At first, I found the job to be a little boring but once I became creative the time spent with the children goes by much faster. Because Marco's English is very limited and my Italian is also limited we sometimes have communication problems but we always seem to get our message across.

As for the parents, Monica and Giulio they are wonderful. They treat me with the respect and are open minded and free spirited. They have two other woman working from them as well, cleaning their not so big house. Monica is a Professor and Giulio is an Engineer so they are well educated and have no money problems. I rarely see Giulio, I met him once and saw him one other time when I decided to work a Saturday. He works 1.5hrs away from home so I imagine he gets home late, eats dinner and goes to sleep....lol. Anyway for now Monica and I get along great thankfully as there is nothing more than having a boss who is a bitch.

A side note, for those who are planning to teach English in Italy please don't expect a high salary. I was aware that the salary wages were low and therefore settled for what was offered.
It was actually my BF who negotiated and successfully got me a higher salary.

Ciao a tutti

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I stumbled upon your blog and am looking forward to reading about your life in Italy. I seriously considering moving to Italy in early 2008. I made my decision a couple of weeks ago and am researching various things. Could you give an idea of how much in Euros would a 1 bedroom 1 bath rental unit cost per month in a average neighborhood. Meaning, not a bad/unsafe neighborhood. Thanks in advance for your help.

Roam2Rome said...

He definitely made things easier, and I'm glad you like it :) I know I've had to be creative to earn my living in Italy, but I'm not complaining at all :)

In bocca al lupo! :)

Vakker Kvinne said...

Great Blog. . .please check out mine when you have some free time. I'm originally from Arizona, but now living in Norway. Found you on the BWE Ring.

-Whitney

vakkerkvinne.blogspot.com

Sassy said...

I'll definitely keep reading your blog to keep up with your adventures. I'm going to rome next week for vacation. I love italy and wouldn't mind living there!!!!!!! Hope you have a blast and everything works out.
Sassy..........www.onlinedatersannonymous.blogspot.com

Kataroma said...

Glad things are working out so well. I actually really enjoyed teaching English when I first got here. It's kind of fun, isn't it? Now I have a regular office job but I still have one 11 year old private student who meet on thursdays after work. It's fun and a little bit of extra cash.

I feel like here in Italy you really have to hustle just to earn enough to pay rent and buy food. The first year or so that I was here my boyfriend paid for all of that since my English teaching and then lawyer at an Italian law firm (!!!!) salary was not enough to cover expenses. From my experience, it's great having a partner to help you get on your feet in a new country.

Unfortunately, my boyfriend HATES dealing with Italian bureaucracy though so I had to do all of that myself - but he did help with other things.

Ms. FoxyRoxy said...

anonymous, you can email me at roxyinitalia at gmail dot com. I would be more than happy to help you.