Sunday, February 17, 2008

Love is in the HAIR

So, another post about my hair. This time I am happy to say its all about the LOVE.
We knew about this hair salon in Vicenza since last April and now decided to give it a try as I was going crazy with all the new growth to my hair. I thought about going natural but even then I would need to find someone to help me maintain it. Anyway, we ventured out to the salon for my 930am appointment and was happy to be the only ones in the salon. If any of you know black hair salons, you and ten other people could have the same appointment time. There was only one lady working in the salon who is also the owner along with her sister, whom just had a baby and therefore was taking time away from the salon. The lady (sorry I don't remember her name, oh dear!) who is from Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic communicated with my BF through me as she spoke limited English. There was nothing fancy about this hair salon which is not what I am used to back in Toronto. But it kinda reminded me of the "around the way" hair salon. You know the ones with a couple of chairs, magazines from 2002 and a few hair dryers.
She set up shop there 5 years ago so I trusted her with my hair. Even though we could not communicate to one another directly I knew that she knew what she was doing. Her hands felt good in my hair, she wasn't afraid to pull, trim or blow dry my hair. Some of the procedures where different, like she roller set my hair before using the blow dryer which I have always wanted my hairstylist in Toronto to do but because of timing her never did it. This process allows your hair to have more body and for someone with thin hair I prefer to have a rollerset. There was also limited use of the flat iron which is always good as it damages your hair. Overall the experience was good. And like all "around the way" hair salons there was some drama....something about a girl who later arrived had been threatened by her husband etc...etc. My BF communicated this to me after we had left.
Anyway, two and a half hours later I came out looking ultra FAB! Sorry I only have this pic to show but believe you me I was happier compared to my last hair salon experience. Stay FAB!

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good hair! Thanks for your question on my blog - I posted a reply on the main page. Good luck with getting your visa.

Becky

Anonymous said...

hey girl:

please e-mail this lady's info as I would like to go there when I'm there, did maureen ever give you the contact information? Do you know if she does weavesas well

Natasha

LaLa said...

Hi Roxy,
I found your blog on expat-blog.com since I have been contemplating a lengthy stay in Italy. The hair thing is important. I went natural 5 years ago. I often flat iron or braid my hair.
It's so refreshing to read if a black woman living in Italy. I met someone when I was on vacation and we keep in touch. I'll be going back in October and I'm so scared that I'll fall in love. I'm already in love with Italia, but I'm not sure what I'd do if my vacation goes from having a good time to something deeper. If you don't mind, how did you and Chicco meet?
Thanks
Lala

LaLa said...

Hi Roxy,
I found your blog on expat-blog.com since I have been contemplating a lengthy stay in Italy. The hair thing is important. I went natural 5 years ago. I often flat iron or braid my hair.
It's so refreshing to read if a black woman living in Italy. I met someone when I was on vacation and we keep in touch. I'll be going back in October and I'm so scared that I'll fall in love. I'm already in love with Italia, but I'm not sure what I'd do if my vacation goes from having a good time to something deeper. If you don't mind, how did you and Chicco meet?
Thanks
Lala

Unknown said...

Hi, Foxy Roxy,
Help a sister out - I'm visiting Vicenza this weekend and my very special fellow is coming up from Milano to meet me Sat, tomorrow!! How/where can I get my nails done - has the US ruined me? And when will it be sunny! Look forward to your reply! Ciao for now!
'Lia

Ms. FoxyRoxy said...

Lia, I couldn't access your blog to answer your question. I don't know exactly of a place as both experiences I have had here have been not up to my standards. But anywhere they usually do tanning, they do nails. I only now of the hair salon in Vicenza and they don't do nails.
The sun better come soon before I pull on my "what's left of it" hair....lol.

Unknown said...

LOL - Hi, Rox.
I'm not a blogger as such, just a chatty email-er.
Thanks for the tip and guess what? I'm not feeling so hot, .... so likely not having my friend come here after all.
Love to keep in touch and hear more about everything - I just checked out a few blog entries.
See, I love an Italian and he is a good man. Truly kind person. And it is confusing and I am pursuing work in Italy - I can honestly say for maybe up to 1/2 of my reason is because I want to be close enough that he would think dating regularly is a good idea. I can tell you more, but don't want to unless you are interested.
I highly suspect you are routinely asked about romance ... sort of chick fantasy to fall in love in Italy, France ...?
Anyway, happy to hear more about what you do while here - fashionista, but how did you come to work here if so?
Be well -
'Lia

Ms. FoxyRoxy said...

Lia, email me. roxyinitalia@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog. I'm a female of Jamaican descent who will be moving to Siena later this year, so it has been great reading about your experiences.
Am just a little concerned though, are there any immediate plans for a wedding? you seem to have assimilated well, but a break up in this foreign country wouldn't be a good thing at all. You are so beautiful, and so interesting-- a time fi di man wife yuh up :)

Ms. FoxyRoxy said...

anonymous....LMFAO!

Anonymous said...

Hey loved reading your blog, wishing you all good things for the future.I have a friend who is moving out to Vicenza in September from the States with her husband and baby, the Dominican Hairdresser, could you supply her details for me, or any other hairdressers who work with our hair,thanks

you can reach me at beautytop2toe@yahoo.co.uk

Ms. FoxyRoxy said...

Thanks anonymous. I will send the info to your email. Stay FAB!

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

roxy haven't read your blog in a while. Glad to see things are going so well for you in Italy!!!

I moved to Rome a couple of weeks ago. Right now my hair is in twists but I will be taking them out soon. Someone left a list of a few salons in Rome to try out so I hope at least one of them know how to deal with natural hair. ha.

Anonymous said...

Hi Roxy! I m an african girl and I was adopted when I was 9 months.
I was surfing the net and searching for a serious hair salon for women with afro hair in Veneto (I live 50 km far from Padova). In the pic I saw u always has wonderful hair, what's your secret?? My natural hair is more or less like yours. I would appreciate if u may give me some information or advice about this issue.
I read all your blog and I loved it :) your italian romance... and you moved to this country just to be with him! And what about your life in padove? Is it tough as your Italian friend living in NY told you it would be? Hope it doesn't!
I don't have a blog, so if u want u can email me at sere.d@otmail.it
Ciao ciao! :)
Serena

Ms. FoxyRoxy said...

Serena I emailed u but no luck, the name is Salon Martinez 0444322748. Stay FAB!