Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Dinner w/ the ex

I was speaking w/ my BF today who informed me that his ex-girlfriend would be coming over to his house for dinner. She is close to his mother and sister so they decided to invite her over for dinner to celebrate her graduation. My reaction to this? well I questioned as to why he needed to be present for the dinner. And he said he felt he needed to be there for support because she is not close to her family and has had issues w/ an eating disorder, he felt if he was not there "she would have problems". So I thanked him for telling me even though my first reaction was not good. I am not at all threatened by her but I know he would have some questions if I had a dinner for my ex-boyfriend.
Is it a culture thing? here the parents would ask the son/daughter if it was okay to have their ex over for dinner. Once your an ex, in most situations, the parents respect that and would not invite their daughter/sons ex over for dinner if they said no.
Anyway, I love him all the same.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let me assure you no Italian woman would tolerate the ex visiting for dinner! Time for a few 'parole' ;-) with the fidanzato

Anonymous said...

I am Italian, I moved to the USA with my american husband. If he had dinner with his ex while dating me I would have simply killed him. He knows that.

D

Anonymous said...

I am Italian. I live in USA with my american husband now. I think it depends on the circumstances. My now husband had dinner with his ex wife while dating me. It bothered me but I didn't feel threatened. She is the mother of his child and they need to talk and keep in touch. They are friends and she is nice to me and trustes me with the child.
I am Italian and I now live in USA with my american husband.

D

Anonymous said...

I posted twice, sorry, but my post didn't come out right away.
What I meant is that I didn't have a problem when he had dinner with his ex wife. On the other hand If he had dinner with his ex girlfriend while dating me I would have simply killed him. So, it really depends on the situation. I think that if you don't feel threatened by her then it's ok, and it probably should make you happy the fact that he told you. If he had anything to hide he wouldn't have said a word.