Friday, March 16, 2007

Racism, Sexism, Ageism

I happened to send a message to my friend on MSN the other day letting him know how excited I was to be moving to Italy. He is Italian but is now living in NYC for work. He asked me where in Italy I would be living and I told him Padova. The next words he typed was "are you crazy". I of course wanted to know why he would ask me such a question. He said "the Italians in that area are closed minded", "you could have picked any where else in Italy to live Milan, Rome and I would have best wishes for you". I asked him to explain himself and he went on to say that I would have a hard time living there because of the Italian's view of black people, particularly those from Africa. After our brief exchange I of course a million and one thoughts started racing through my head.

So after speaking w/ my friend I shoot off an email to my boyfriend fearful of what is to come. I ask all these questions which I know the answer too but need to be reassured that he loves me

There are a lot of African immigrants living in Padova and I have read & heard how the African immigrants are treated by the Italian government/people. I have not had any bad experiences during my travels in Italy. Actually the reception has always been quite warm and welcoming. I know the Italian people don't see me as "an immigrant" I am more of a tourist in those situations. But what will happen when I have to look for a job, access services etc. I have come to realization that sexism & ageism is what I will have face as I have been obtaining information from some of the expats living in Italy. But one thing that I have placed aside is my race and how it will effect how I live in Italy whether I am there legally or not.
I often tell my BF that the African people do not live their country to come to Europe to be poor, unemployed, uneducated. It's the government that allows the immigrants to resort to working illegally & doing all means necessary to make a living. His view on the immigrants is much different now then it was before because I have shed some light on the situation. Educating him on the conditions in some of these countries, Sudan, Ethiopia etc.

In Canada there are laws protecting individuals from Racism, Sexism & Ageism, is there such laws in Italy? Something I guess that I need to research.

Is my friend right, as a black woman will I have a hard time?

3 comments:

Isa said...

I cannot predict the future, but I don't feel like contradicting your friend.
Italian ARE close minded. But as a Canadian you are different, because you come from a rich Country (and more advanced one) and are well-being, so you don't come to steal.
Unfortunately a lot of people are not able to judge a person at a first sight, nor you could go around showing on the t-shirt "I'm a Canadian".

The fact that they have the Vicenza American base nearby does not help. My mom's family is from Padova and I have heard such things I am ashamed to write here.

nyc/caribbean ragazza said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I wish you the best of luck in your move and look forward to reading about it.

I haven't time in that part of the North but I have heard that it's not as "open" as Rome, Milan or Florence. As a black American woman of Caribbean parents I haven't experienced any racism. But as you have pointed out, I haven't had to look for a job or rent an apartment full time either.

You are going with your eyes wide open so don't worry. You will deal with whatever comes your way. At least you know that Italy has a major problem with immigration and is struggling on how to deal with it. To be blunt if you were going to Italy illegally and were poor and/or from a poor country I think your experience would be very different. That is not your situation so just be aware and do your thing.

Italy doesn't have the same affirmative action/anti discrimination laws as the US or Canada. Why would they? They have not had the same history as North America (ie. generations of diversity through forced, esp. in the U.S., not sure what the slavery situtaion was in Canada or volunteer immigration).

Anonymous said...

Like Pola said, unfortunately a lot of people are not able to "judge" a person at first sight. They will not be able to tell until you open your mouth and hear from your accent that you come from a rich/advanced country/continent like North America.
I've had a couple of problems at the police station/immigration office here when I've gone alone and my Italian hubby hasn't been with me. I started to speak, and is obvious Italian is not my first language, I was treated as if I was a low life almost. Then once I either showed my American passport or mentioned my nationality, then they started kissing up.
Since you are coming here without any rose colored glasses, which is great, I don't think you'll have too much to worry about. Just be prepared. Here's a helpful phrase in Italian for you "Io sono Canadese". Translated "I'm Canadian"
Good luck to you ma'am!