Monday, July 09, 2007

Italia, sto arrivando...wooooo hoooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You all know that today was the big day...here is how I did it!

While in Italy in April I visited "corso di lingua Italiana per gli stranieri" and inquired about there Italian lessons. After pondering for a day I went back and asked if I could register for the lessons beginning in October. They photocopied my passport and asked I come back in a few days. Unfortunately, I was leaving the next day so I therefore could not pick it up. A week later my BF picked up the letter and mailed me the original copy. I used a email copy to bring to the consulate just "to see" if what was written in the letter was sufficient for a student visa. I was told sadly that they letter only stated "I presented myself to register" and not that "I paid and registered". The lady at the consulate asked that I call the school and ask them to issue me a new letter stating that I paid for the course. Totally starting freaking out at this point because since its a "corso di lingua Italiana per gli stranieri" I did not have to pay. So I then asked my BF to go to the school and ask that they issue me a new letter. The school flat out said they would not do that for the reason I did not pay for the course. I waited about a month before I returned with the original letter (nothing changed), my flight itinerary (not an official booked ticket), bank statement for 3 months, my passport and one passport size picture. I was really nervous because it was the same lady I dealt with a month earlier who had told me that letter had to be changed. Anyway, I took a deep breath, presented her with my documents. Once she started to examine the letter I said to her "I asked the school to issue me a new letter but they would not" she smiled and said "no problem". She continued to shuffle the papers and said she will issue the visa for the duration of the course (Oct-July) but could not issue the visa beyond that time. I was asked to come back on June 26 to pick up my visa but was later called and asked to come on July 9 (visa's cannot be issued more than 90days of the visa start date).
I went back today and was all smiles when the gentlemen placed the visa in my brand new passport.
So that's my story of how I got my student visa. I paid nothing and got a whole lot in return.

~Cheerios~

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi, I was just reading about your success in obtaining your student visa. since I am also looking into this, do you know if you are allowed to work in italy on such a visa? thanks and good luck in italy!

Ms. FoxyRoxy said...

Hey anonymous, I tried to do the work visa route and it was next to impossible. I even had an employer who had provided me w/ a letter which I presented to the immigration office when I was in Italy and I was basically told "it was next to impossible". So I decided to apply for the student visa. It was less hassle, the process was easier and faster. You can work up to 20hrs a week w/ a student visa, at least that is what I was told and have read on the expat forums. Hope that helps.

Romerican said...

i just happened upon your blog and i have to say- props to you for making such a big move!!!! it sounds like you've got everything under control and you have a good man waiting for you (=
i live in rome but i actually worked in padova for 5-6 months and i must admit, i liked it. very organized, clean, civil, small but hip city.
people in the veneto region do tend to be more close-minded/racist BUT that doesn't mean everybody is like that, so don't you worry! my one unpleasant encounter had to do with the fact that i speak italian with a bit of a roman accent (i've been in rome for a long time and learned italian here) and this did not go over well with "some" people from padova because they seriously dislike the south and southerners. So they started badmouthing rome and kind of mocking my "southern hick" (terrone) accent but i defended myself without a problem. aside from that, i had a perfectly wonderful time in padova and enjoyed working there. if you want, i can pass you the name of the organization i worked for, you never know...

Romerican said...

http://www.trincoll.edu/Academics/adultlearning/italian_programs/

http://www.trincoll.edu/Academics/adultlearning/italian_programs/Veneto.htm

Elderhostel Italy (run through Trinity college in CT) they have programs all over italy in various cities where the participants (elderly americans & canadians) stay in one/two cities for a couple of weeks for these academic tours. i did it for 2+ years and back then it was good money and fun! note: you don't have to be an art historian or professional guide, you can just be a group leader or even teach classes if you're so inclined. check it out and get in touch with them, you never know!

Kataroma said...

Wow - judging by your success in getting a student visa, Italian bureaucracy will be a piece of cake for you!

Ms. FoxyRoxy said...

kataroma, oh I am not betting on that. I am expecting to be tangled in the bureaucratic mess.

romerican, thanks for the info.

Michelle | Bleeding Espresso said...

I know by now this is old news for you, but I just had to comment on how typical this sort of "keep going until they let you do it" thing is here...obviously you're already great at it, so I think you'll do just fine here :)